Odyssey of the Mind
What is Odyssey of the Mind?
Odyssey of the Mind is a creative, competitive club where students are given a long term problem they have to solve. The solution generally is done as some sort of performance. On top of coming up with a creative solution to the problem the students are given a strict budget that they must use for making/purchasing the props for their performances. In addition to their long term problem, students must also answer spontaneous problems provided to them at the competition. The spontaneous problems force the students to express their creativity on the fly as they are generally only given three to seven minutes to come up with those problem solution.
Why Is Odyssey of the Mind Good for Kids?
The Odyssey of the Mind Program teachers students to learn creative problem-solving methods while having fun. For more than twenty five years, this unique program has helped teachers generate excitement in their students. By tapping into creativity, encouraging imaginative paths to problem-solving, students learn skills that will provide them the skills and ability to solve problems great and small for a life time.
The Odyssey of the Mind program teachers students how to think divergently by providing open-ended problems that appeal to a wide range of interests. Students learn how to identify challenges and to think creatively to solve those problems. They are free to express their ideas and suggestions without fear of criticism. The creative problem-solving process rewards thinking "outside of the box." While conventional thinking has an important place in a well-rounded education, students need to learn how to think creatively and productively.
In Odyssey of the Mind...
- Students develop team-building skills by working in groups of as many as seven students (per team).
- Students learn to examine problems and to identify the real challenge without limiting the possible solutions and their potential success.
- The creative-thinking process is nurtured and developed as a problem-solving tool.
- Students of all types will find something that appeals to them.
- The fun of participation leads to an elevated interest in regular classroom curricula.
- Teachers have a program to further provide students with a well-rounded education.
- Students learn hands on skills applicable to real world problems and solutions.
- Students learn to use tools, engineering, set building, prop design, costume design, script writing, it is beautiful!
Welcome to the PJHS Odyssey of the Mind Page.
Our FIRST PRACTICE for the 23-24 Season is Tuesday 9-27-23.
If you have questions about the Odyssey of the Mind teams at Patton please email Coaches
[email protected] or Ms. Faught
We are looking forward to beginning our 23-24 season!
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Who makes the team?
Historically, we have had tryouts for the teams. The tryout consist of a student created solution to a problem that will be given at the OM parent meeting, teacher recommendation forms, and parent and student commitment forms.
- How Long is the Season?
Season lasts all year. We being in September, Our State Competition is in March, and the World Finals is in May.
- When do you practice?
Practice will be held after school, similar to athletics. Twice a week until 5:30.
Please email coaches with any questions!